Monday, January 26, 2015

Happy Monday!!

We wake up at 6:30 everyday. It's a rule! I'm sorry you're so tired.

Last Tuesday night Jesus decided that he was going to pray about whether or not to be be baptized and then turn to a random page in the Book of Mormon and read the chapter there. The first passage he read was about infant baptism so he decided to try again. The next chapter he read was about the importance of baptism in general and told the story of when Alma baptized a bunch of people. He definitely got an answer but in our lesson on Wednesday he lied to us and said he didn't! We assumed he hadn't recognized it or something because it was so obvious!

That night he came to the very end of institute after his class. (Fun fact: We have an institute building on the campus of Santa Ana College.) He wanted to talk to us after before playing pool with the other kids. He started by apologizing to us about being so hesitant. We let him go on and on apologizing until I interrupted him. "Jesus!" I said, "You haven't been that hesitant. You meet with us everyday in the thirty minutes you have between work and your intercession calculus class. You read the Book of Mormon and pray everyday. You go to church with us. Even right now you're at institute with us. What are you being hesitant about?" 

After that I'm not entirely sure what everyone said because it was entirely guided by the spirit. Over the course of my mission I've felt the spirit less and less strongly while I'm talking to people because I learned how to speak Spanish and that God trusts me to say the right thing without help. At first it would always tug on me to make sure I would say the right thing. But this conversation must have been super important to God! Because he completely took over and basically dragged me through the dirt with the spirit! It hurt so much! And my companion was really confused. I'm not really sure what I said but it was crazy.

Basically what it summed up to was that I got him to admit he was hesitant about baptism even though he'd gotten a clear answer. Then I promised him he would feel prepared by the time of his baptism if he did everything we asked. I showed him a calendar and let him choose when he wanted to get baptized. I thought he was going to pick April but he picked February 1st!

He's still working on feeling prepared. He has trust issues with God. After our lesson yesterday he said one of the most sincere prayers I have heard. He told God that he really wants to be baptized and he asked him if he could please take away the part of him that doesn't want to be baptized. He started crying. We will see of his prayer is answered or not.

Henry blessed the sacrament yesterday! He looked so pleased with himself. I feel like he gets more joy than the average person out of doing the right thing. Oh! And last Monday at the Noche de hogar he told me he wants to serve a mission! He asked me lots of questions about what it's like. He also asked lots of questions about snow and Illinois. He wants to serve either in Guatemala or English speaking to learn English.

Everything is staying the same for transfers. All the girls are staying, too. One companionship is getting a baby though! So they will be in a trio and now we are over 15 hermanas! She's from Mexico and is part deaf. She can read lips perfectly but only in Spanish. So that should be fun!

We had a seven hour long meeting with the proselyting department from Salt Lake. They are so pumped! And it made me feel like anything is possible.

We met this new kid named Pedro who is also from Guatemala and doesn't speak English. He is really sweet! He is looking for a church with order so he was super impressed with church at the Greenville building. It's one of the biggest chapels in the world and there are a million classrooms and Mormons there. His first language is actually a lengua from there called chesckA? Or something like that. So it's super weird because he will slip into his lengua when he doesn't know a phrase in Spanish and we're all like whahhhhh???? Switch back to Spanish! And then he gets mad when we switch into Spanglish because he doesn't understand it and he reminds us that he's not Mexican. Lessons with him will be fun.

We're also teaching this guy named Ozzie. We got him from a member as a facebook referral. But then we saw him on the street one day and we recognized him. We flagged him down and we're all like are you Ozzie?!?!? He was really confused and we asked him if a random white girl messaged him on facebook. He was like yeah.... I said, "That was me! Why didn't you respond?" He tried to comfort us and he accepted a Book of Mormon but didn't seem that interested in being taught. That was a couple weeks ago and he messaged us and told us he's in 1 Nephi 12 and if we could please meet to explain some parts of it. Now he wants to be baptized! He works a lot so it might take awhile to teach him.

Have a great week! Love you!
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment