Monday, September 9, 2013

Hola!
If I think about it rationally I understand why Mexicans illegally immigrate to America (duh market forces! Thank you Mr. Lewis), but when I sit in on the weird spongy bright green grass, breathe in the probably polluted perfectly temperature controlled air and watch lime green parrots chase each other through the palm trees, I wonder why? Why would you leave this? Then I hear another of the many gunshots and I remember that I am not really in Mexico. I'm in some weird heavily manicured version of it that has a very strong spiritual connection to heaven. Plus I hear that northern Mexico is desert. And I think that's where my friends in Illinois said their people were from.
The city is so noisy! Even at 6 in the morning when I run! There is a constant mixture of people holding down their horns FOREVER, guns (I swear some people have actual cannons), people selling things over the loud speaker like in japan, fireworks, and really loud party music. El CCM is relatively quiet. But because we´re not allowed to listen to music people are always singing or whistling. We made it a rule in my district that you have to say El CCM the musical! con excessive drama before singing any song.

Every night when it rains the roads turn into rivers and it is impossible to stay dry. By the time we get anywhere, even with umbrellas we´re already soaked through so we decide we might as well play in the rain. The puddles are knee deep and so much fun! I think I might have gotten sick from this...
One of my American friends (ex roommate) joined a Latino district because her Spanish is so good. Her parents are native speakers and she looks Latina so people speak English around her and assume she does not understand. I now officially know everything about everyone. Check that off my list.
All the elders here are so nice! It is a rule that you have to let las hermanas cut in front of you in the food line. But they´re also nice when they don´t have to be. Especially the ones in my district. I´ve been really sick this past week. I had a nasty cold and they all kept buying me tissues and random stuff a la tienda. Our district is even closer now. We listen to an illegal episode of someones life story every night before we go to bed. It is amazing how entertaining everything is when you don't have TV! I don't think they really no what to make of me. I think I'm having an identity crisis surrogated by them. One of the hermanas in my district goes to BYUI too. We want to be roommates when we get back.

El CCM has movie night every Sunday. This week we watched legacy. BEST CROWD TO WATCH MOVIES WITH EVER. We've all become so sheltered that everything, and I mean everything, comes at quite a shock to our poor little souls. Most people felt the need to cover their eyes during the kissing.

We´ve watched or listened to two of Jeffrey R Holland´s talks given to the Provo MTC in the last week. He is so strict with missionaries! He yells the whole time! I find it frightening.
I really like it here. Not just the location but what we´re doing. I´ve found something here that I realized I've been looking for for a long time now. I now recognize my feelings before I came here as anxiety. My spirit was so anxious to get here! There are so many things that I've learned here that will help me with the life I want to live after. I can see the course of my life very clearly now. Lookin great!

I have two new "investigators" now and two new teachers. They´re all so nice! My old "investigator" got "baptized"! Sarcastic whoo! One of my teachers is more like a student teacher and he doesn't speak any English so I translate what people in my class are saying and translate what he is saying for them. The problem is that he is sooo giggly and I´m super giggly so I´ll be saying something in Spanish and then he will start snickering at my broken Spanish and then I start because I really do sound ridiculous and before you know it giggle fests are happening. And no one else can understand what we are saying so they assume that I said something really funny in Spanish when really I probably said something about Jesucristo. It is bad. Rulllll bad. One time Elder grange was practicing getting to know an investigator with me. I was the investigator. he asked if I was married and here is a very loose translation of what I said:

No, I live with my boyfriend. I think he might be in the mafia because he is always trying to recruit my cat. Not that I blame him. That cat has excellent ninja prowess. Or he might be a firefighter. I have trouble telling the two occupations apart.
 
Anyways I had Hermano Hernandez on the floor slapping the tile. (Add him to my fan club) Elder Grange only could pick out a few words. His jaw was dropped. My other teacher, Hermano Castellanos, came over, palm to face, shaking his head and said, "Just because you can say it in Spanish, doesn´t mean you should." Duly noted Hermano Castellanos.
 
Ha! I know exactly what I am doing here. But thanks. You should definitely learn espanol! It is such a beautiful language! It sounds way better in hymns and prayers and everything! I want some of that salad! Making something that looks healthy or weird is a classic smith move! Cheer tryouts!? Someone obviously needs more sleep. Thank you for telling me about home! I like it. Love you!



 The hermanas in my district en el CCM today.

 My companion and me.

This is my district at the temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment